Clint Eastwood's FIREFOX

The 2009 blockbuster movie! [Please do not discuss the Toys and Comics here]
User avatar
Space Commander
Z Force
Z Force
Posts: 584
Joined: 27 Mar 2008 21:15

Clint Eastwood's FIREFOX

Postby Space Commander » 26 Jan 2014 20:49

When I saw Rise of Cobra at the cinema, I really enjoyed it, (even though it wasn't the hard-hitting commentary on modern warfare that I was expecting!), but I did feel as though I'd seen the ending before....

I've been a fan of films starring or directed by Clint Eastwood ever since I was just a kid, and I seemed to remember that the closing scenes of Firefox were very similar to what was before me on the cinema-screen that day, specifically with regard to what :ripcord: Ripcord was up to, flying around in that stolen enemy aircraft.

Recently I saw Firefox again, and sure enough, the same thoughts occurred to me once more.

See what you chaps and lasses think;



And especially this bit;



Rise of Cobra is still fun to watch, either way. :mrgreen:

:skyraider:
SPACE COMMANDER
ACTION FORCE; The 21st Century Mini-Comics Project. viewtopic.php?f=62&t=13534
User avatar
Graham_UK
Special Weapons
Special Weapons
Posts: 793
Joined: 13 Nov 2011 19:24
Location: Worthing, West Sussex
Contact:

Re: Clint Eastwood's FIREFOX

Postby Graham_UK » 26 Jan 2014 21:40

Firefox was a great film and I always felt that the night raven was based more on that than the SR71. Especially with the rear firing missiles!
User avatar
Shaunyboy
Black beauty, now there's a dark horse!
Black beauty, now there's a dark horse!
Posts: 1346
Joined: 26 Jul 2008 08:44
Location: Buckinghamshire

Re: Clint Eastwood's FIREFOX

Postby Shaunyboy » 26 Jan 2014 22:12

I think Firefox is a great movie also, but certainly not the whizz bang action flick it looks in the trailer! If I remember correctly it's quite a slow burner isn't it? All about getting Eastwood's character to the hanger at the end....?
User avatar
Space Commander
Z Force
Z Force
Posts: 584
Joined: 27 Mar 2008 21:15

Re: Clint Eastwood's FIREFOX

Postby Space Commander » 26 Jan 2014 22:44

Graham_UK wrote:Firefox was a great film and I always felt that the night raven was based more on that than the SR71. Especially with the rear firing missiles!


Agreed!


Shaunyboy wrote:I think Firefox is a great movie also, but certainly not the whizz bang action flick it looks in the trailer! If I remember correctly it's quite a slow burner isn't it? All about getting Eastwood's character to the hanger at the end....?


...I have been known to skip to the last 20 minutes instead of watching the whole thing! I still dig the creepy music when he finally gets to the hangar and sees the MiG for the first time;


:skyraider:
SPACE COMMANDER
ACTION FORCE; The 21st Century Mini-Comics Project. viewtopic.php?f=62&t=13534
User avatar
Quickfire
Make sure every bullet finds a billet
Make sure every bullet finds a billet
Posts: 2038
Joined: 09 Feb 2005 19:35
Location: Somewhere in the Galapagos or the Pampas...
Contact:

Re: Clint Eastwood's FIREFOX

Postby Quickfire » 26 Jan 2014 22:44

Night Raven was definitely based on Firefox. There can be no further debate.

Epic movie with lots of under-employed British thesps as the scientists/help, dropping like flies for the greater good of the free world.

Slow burner .. until Clint gets in the plane. Then it goes mental!

:duke: "Nothing on the radio .. he's gone .. sheesh .. fkn limeys"
:cmmdr: "We... DON'T ... KNOW!"
:snowjob: "Steam him a runway already!"

Which reminds us, the great Vanyo :snowjob: story had a little to do with Firefox too, among other Ice Station -type analogs.

:quick:

PS. Need to see it again, not watched since my Philips VHS-2000 died in 1991 :(

PPS. When Clint zaps the Soviet destroyer, seem to remember that the producers had gone to some effort to replicate the typical Kamov naval helo of that era, the Soviets not leasing them out for dilettante entry-level western propaganda. All added to the flavour.

:snowjob: "Wave! Wave! We're meteorologists! On a meteorological mission!"
2014 was proudly brought to you by :enemy: :baron: :major: :laser: :vulture: :jackal: :wolf: :muton: :shadow: :kraken: :skeletron: :shadow: :shadow: :shadow: :torch: :skeletron2: :shadow: :shadow: :shadow: :shadow: :shadow: :shadow: :shadow: :shadow: :shadow:
2015 was proudly brought to you by :enemy: :baron: :major: :laser: :vulture: :jackal: :wolf: :muton: :shadow: :kraken: :skeletron: :shadow: :shadow: :shadow: :torch: :skeletron2: :shadow: :shadow: :shadow: :shadow: :shadow: :shadow: :shadow: :shadow: :shadow:
2016 is proudly brought to you by the far superior "Behavioural Change Consultant and Performance Coach Ltd."
User avatar
Space Commander
Z Force
Z Force
Posts: 584
Joined: 27 Mar 2008 21:15

Re: Clint Eastwood's FIREFOX

Postby Space Commander » 26 Jan 2014 22:58

Quickfire wrote:Night Raven was definitely based on Firefox. There can be no further debate.


Agreed!

:skyraider:
SPACE COMMANDER
ACTION FORCE; The 21st Century Mini-Comics Project. viewtopic.php?f=62&t=13534
User avatar
Chopper
This is what you get when you mess with the SAS
This is what you get when you mess with the SAS
Posts: 7152
Joined: 09 Apr 2003 08:30
Location: Melbourne

Re: Clint Eastwood's FIREFOX

Postby Chopper » 26 Jan 2014 23:53

Well that settles that, then.

WTF? No Blu ray.....?

Image
Let me tell you, Gunner La-De-Dah Graham, the British Army can fight anything! Intimate or not!
User avatar
humby248
Cockney W@nker
Cockney W@nker
Posts: 1737
Joined: 08 May 2009 22:10
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Clint Eastwood's FIREFOX

Postby humby248 » 27 Jan 2014 01:01

Love this film. Agreed there's definitley similarities. I've been on the look out for a while now for a cheap Night Raven to do a Firefox custom after somebody posted that they'd like to the the ROC version redone with the lights round the missiles moved to the rear for the engines. I was also thinking of using the 30th anniversary Astronaut as Clint.
User avatar
Thundershot
Lethargic Dynamism
Lethargic Dynamism
Posts: 5671
Joined: 29 Nov 2008 17:15
Location: Confusedonshire

Re: Clint Eastwood's FIREFOX

Postby Thundershot » 27 Jan 2014 08:23

Gotta love how Clint thinks out aloud during all of this action, carefully explaining exactly what's going on to both himself and the audience.

Larry Hamma certainly saw a lot of cold war thriller movies/books, as so many similar plot lines/themes (or variations based upon) showed up in the Joe comics... remember that Special Missions story, featuring the Night Raven, which borrows a scene straight outta Top Gun?

More news, as its made, from new Action Force!
User avatar
Space Commander
Z Force
Z Force
Posts: 584
Joined: 27 Mar 2008 21:15

Re: Clint Eastwood's FIREFOX

Postby Space Commander » 27 Jan 2014 14:29

humby248 wrote:Love this film. Agreed there's definitley similarities. I've been on the look out for a while now for a cheap Night Raven to do a Firefox custom after somebody posted that they'd like to the the ROC version redone with the lights round the missiles moved to the rear for the engines. I was also thinking of using the 30th anniversary Astronaut as Clint.

COOL! Maybe you could post a picture? Hmmm, I might be wrong, but I think I saw a Night Raven for sale last time I was in Norwich. I'll have another look next time I go, and get back to ya. :mrgreen:

Thundershot wrote:Gotta love how Clint thinks out aloud during all of this action, carefully explaining exactly what's going on to both himself and the audience.

In the story, they explained that away as him having to keep an audio recording of his activities during the theft of the aircraft; he was speaking to the "black box". It's a good way to give plot exposition!

Thundershot wrote:Larry Hamma certainly saw a lot of cold war thriller movies/books, as so many similar plot lines/themes (or variations based upon) showed up in the Joe comics... remember that Special Missions story, featuring the Night Raven, which borrows a scene straight outta Top Gun?

Ah, yes! You're right! I remember that now....

Good times!

:skyraider:
SPACE COMMANDER
ACTION FORCE; The 21st Century Mini-Comics Project. viewtopic.php?f=62&t=13534

Return to “GI Joe - The Rise of Cobra”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests